Friday, September 14, 2012

Haylee's Room

Well as you know our house is old... and with old comes lots of wallpaper.  By lots I mean layers and layers of wallpaper in almost every room.  It has been a process but one by one we have tore down the wallpaper, textured, and painted.  Here is what Haylee's room looked like when we bought it.



I know I know you are thinking why would we ever take down such beautiful wall paper, and take out such an awesome blue carpet.  We started the project one Sunday afternoon by removing the wallpaper.  This was the third area we removed wall paper in and we were starting to get the hang of it.  The trick was to wet down the wall paper and let it sit for a minute.  Then starting at the top to pull down at an angle toward the ground.  These next pics are a disaster...




So after we stripped all the wall paper off, next was texturing the walls.  We like to use our own personal method which we have mastered now.  We do not own a hopper or a air compressor so this type of texturing is much more practical for us.  All we do is take a putty knife and spread some joint compound on the wall.  You don't want it to be too thick or too thin so figure out how much of a texture you want.  Next you wad up a plastic bag from your last grocery trip and dab it on the wall... and walla you can texture your whole room in no time.

After hours of scraping wall paper, and texturing we were ready to paint.  We went to Home Depot and picked out what paint we wanted.  We decided on a light purple and white room.  Here is our finished product....







My husbands sister had given me some spare fabric she wasn't going to use and my crafty amazing mother sewed some adorable curtains to match.  Her dresser didn't use to be that cute.  I got a dresser given to me from my mom that had seen better days.  At one point it had nice stickers from Journeys shoes all over it.  This was the dresser before I had painted it or sanded it.


  
I had removed the older handles and stickers and was ready to sand.  After sanding, I used my free paint I got from Ace hardware one day.  They hand out free paint quite regularly and you can get any color.  I painted it, bought some handles, and her dresser was complete.


I made some wood blocks with her name to go on top of the dresser in the colors of her room.

Painted a frame and added some vinyl flowers for the wall

And Hand painted some white canvas's for the other wall and finally I felt like her room was complete.

Well thanks for checking out her room.  I will post pics of Kades room tomorrow.








1 comment:

  1. this looks so much better!!! I also love the now blog. It looks really great, such a great color scheme:)

    ReplyDelete